Columbia 300 News
2012-13 PBA PLAYER OF THE YEAR RACE RESUMES IN JAPAN
The too-close-to-call chase for 2012-13 PBA Player of the Year honors resumes in Japan Nov. 28-30 when 30 PBA players compete in the 27th Round1 Japan Cup at Minami Suna Round1 Bowling Center in Tokyo.
The top 16 PBA members who qualified for the Japan Cup based upon competition points earned during the past season include Jason Belmonte, Wes Malott, Sean Rash, Pete Weber, Chris Loschetter, Scott Norton, Bill O'Neill, Parker Bohn III, Tommy Jones, Mika Koivuniemi, Stuart Williams, Dan MacLelland, Chris Barnes, Jason Sterner, Mike Fagan and Norm Duke.
Four players invited by the Japan Cup organizing committee include Osku Palermaa, Rhino Page, Walter Ray Williams Jr. and Amleto Monacelli. Ten additional PBA members will participate in a Pro Tour Qualifier to try to earn berths in the tournament: Ronnie Russell, Ryan Ciminelli, E.J. Tackett, Josh Blanchard, Anthony LaCaze, Jake Peters, Tom Hess, Julio Cesar Blancas, Humberto Vazquez and John Furey.
First prize will be roughly $60,000. Koivuniemi is defending champion, a two-time winner and one of seven past champions in the field. Other past winners include Bohn (4 times), Jones (3), Weber (2), Monacelli (2), W.R. Williams (2) and Barnes (1).
The 2012-13 PBA Tour season concludes with three PBA International Tour events in the Middle East in December: the Abu Dhabi WBT tournament at Thalifa International Bowling Centre, Abu Dhabi, UAE, Nov. 30-Dec. 6; the Qatar Open at Qatar Bowling Centre in Doha, Qatar, Dec. 4-10, and the 7th International Kingdom Open at Universal Bowling Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Dec. 11-16. All three events will be World Bowling Tour points competitions and each will award PBA International Tour titles if the winner is a PBA member.
SZCZERBINSKI, McEWAN CARRY U.S. HOPES INTO QUBICAAMF WORLD CUP
PBA Tour competitor John Szczerbinski, a former Wichita State University All-American and member of the 2013 PBA League champion New York City WTT KingPins, is headed to Siberia with fellow Team USA member Danielle McEwan of Stony Point, N.Y., trying to win QubicaAMF World Cup titles for the United States.
Szczerbinski, North Tonawanda, N.Y., and McEwan, who earned their World Cup berths by winning the 2013 USBC Team USA Trials, have competed in previous World Cups. Szczerbinski finished fifth in 2010 in Toulon, France, and McEwan finished fourth last year in Wroclaw, Poland. The 2014 World Cup is being held at the Sibiryak Centre, a state-of-the-art 32-lane recreational facility in Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
The 49th QubicaAMF World Cup will include bowlers from more than 80 countries. All rounds of the event, which begins Monday and ends on Sunday, Nov. 24, will be webcast live on bowl.com’s BowlTV.
WORLD BOWLING ANNOUNCES PRELIMINARY 2014 WBT SCHEDULE
World Bowling (formerly the World Tenpin Bowling Association) has announced a preliminary schedule of World Bowling Tour qualifying tournaments for 2013-14 season. Each of the WBT tournaments will offer a PBA International Tour title if the winner is a PBA member:
Nov. 30-Dec. 6 - 1st Abu Dhabi WBT, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Dec 4-10 - Qatar Open, Doha, Qatar
Dec 11-16 - 7th Kingdom International Open, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Jan 3-12 - Brunswick Ballmaster Open, Helsinki, Finland
Feb 17-23 - USBC Masters, North Brunswick, N.J.
Feb 22-27 - H.H. Emir Cup 2014, Doha, Qatar
March 1-7 - Kingdom of Bahrain Open, Oman, Bahrain
March 10-14 - Kuwait International Open, Kuwait City, Kuwait
March 15-23 - Brunswick Euro Challenge, Munich, Germany
June 27-July 3 - USBC Queens (women only), Reno, Nev.
Oct 6-11 - WBT Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand
tba - Indonesian Open, Jakarta, Indonesia
LAST CALL: TONY REYES COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD NOMINATIONS DUE FRIDAY
Nominations must be postmarked by Friday, Nov. 15, for the inaugural PBA Tony Reyes Community Service Award, honoring the memory of the late PBA Tour player’s service to the bowling community.
The new award will be presented to a PBA member in good standing, based upon extraordinary community service, charitable and/or educational contributions the nominee has made during the past calendar year. Nominations may be made by anyone. For a copy of the nominations form, click here:
PBA REGIONAL ROUNDUP: POWELL WINS JOINT REGIONAL TITLE IN ALBUQUERQUE
● Casey Powell of Dallas defeated amateur Charles Zumwalt of Albuquerque, N.M., 268-230, to win his third PBA Regional title on Sunday, Nov. 10, in the PBA Farmington (N.M.) Southwest/West Open presented by DV8 at Bowlero Lanes. Powell started the championship match with three spares and then threw nine strikes in a row to secure the $2,700 first prize.
● Jeff Bellinger of Columbia, S.C. defeated Tim Kauble of Marion, Ohio, 256-238, 236-240, 247-225, in the best-of-three-game title match to win $1,700, his second title of the year and his 15th career PBA Regional title in the PBA50 Gastonia Southern Open presented by Brunswick at Liberty Lanes in Gastonia, N.C., Sunday.
● Harry Sullins of Chesterfield Twp., Mich., defeated Kenny Parks of Hammond, Ind., 222-187, to win the PBA50 Midwest/Central Region Victory Lanes Open in Kankakee, Ill., Sunday. The win was Sullins’ second of the year, 23rd of his career and he earned $1,600.
● The lineup of PBA Regional events over the Nov. 15-17 weekend includes the Wichita (Kan.) Southwest/Midwest Open at Thunderbird Lanes; the Gloucester South Open presented by Radical Bowling at Villages Lanes in Gloucester, Va.; the PBA50 Bryan’s Bowling Center East Open presented by The Insurance Market in Laurel, Del.; the Lithia CJDR Northwest Member/Non-Member Doubles at Go Bowl in Pasco, Wash., and the one-day, reduced entry fee Pro Bowl West Central/Midwest Open in Fort Wayne, Ind.
The Nov. 22-24 weekend schedule features Steve Cook’s Fireside Lanes Capital City West/Northwest Open presented by DV8 in Citrus Heights, Calif., and the Dallas Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeons Southwest Open at Allen Bowl in Allen, Texas.
Two events are on tap for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend: the Beaumont Southwest Open presented by Roto Grip at Crossroads Bowling Center in Beaumont, Texas, and the La-Z-Boy/Monroe Sport Center Non-Champions Open in Monroe, Mich.
For complete schedules, rules and entry information, visit pba.com, open the “schedules” tab and click on Regional Tours to find the event(s) in your area.
● Two-time PBA Tour titlist Dick Allen of Columbia, S.C., and wife Sarah welcomed the arrival of their second daughter on Nov. 6 – Arabella Harper Allen.
● PBA Tour veteran Jesse Buss and wife Courtney of Belvidere, Ill., welcomed the arrival of daughter Sloan Kingsley Buss on Oct. 31. Sloan weighed it at six pounds, 10 ounces, and measured 21 inches.